Getting decent prices on life insurance for diabetics requires research on our part, but the extra effort is well spent for our diabetic life insurance clients. The premiums you pay for life insurance with diabetes will ultimately depend on your control level and overall health.
Many diabetics think they are not insurable, which is simply not the case. Diabetics can find affordable diabetic life insurance, especially diabetics who control their blood sugar levels well with diet or oral medications.
People seeking life insurance after a diabetic diagnosis should be prudent in their search to find the best prices in today’s marketplace.We simplify your search by using only niche carriers familiar with the risk factors presented in underwriting people with diabetes.
In 2012, over 29 million Americans, or 9.3% of the population, have diabetes, while another 86 million have prediabetes according to the American Diabetes Association. Another 5.7 million Americans are living with the disease and don’t even know it. Most of people diagnosed with diabetes are classified as non-insulin Type 2 diabetics.
Applying for Diabetic Life Insurance
When you apply for life insurance policy, you will be required to take a medical exam. During this exam, you will be asked questions about your medical history, family history, lifestyle, and smoking status. The nurse will also measure your height, weight, pulse, and blood pressure.
Applicants seeking life insurance with diabetes, should realize that insurance underwriters will want evaluate the details of your total health. So, try to have the following medical information put together for your nurse:
- Have the name, address, and phone number for the doctor treating your diabetes.
- Check with your physician to make sure they have all the documentation for your treatments.
- Keep a current list of all medications and the dosage for each prescription.
Having your medical history available will make finding diabetic life insurance much simpler!
Thankfully, Type 2 or adult onset applicants have a easier path to finding life insurance with better rates then those who were diagnosed earlier in life.
Although applicants with Type 2 will usually not be eligible for preferred rates, many can still be insurable at standard plus or standard rates.
If you are only taking an oral medication, it is entirely possible to find a liberal company offering their standard plus rate class. Diabetic life insurance applicants can qualify for a standard plus rate with Banner Life.
For sample life insurance rates for diabetics use the standard rate class on Instant Life Insurance Quote. Do not worry, we will further refine your search by selecting a diabetic life insurance company which takes a clinical approach to underwriting your policy!
Clinical underwriting considers your overall medical history and your control level when you are applying for life insurance with diabetes.
Insurance companies not using this underwriting philosophy automatically issue a substandard rate to most applicants being treated for diabetes.
Our goals is to find our clients the best standard rating thus, avoiding the typical 50% increase in cost associated with a substandard rate.
Life Insurance for Diabetics Tips:
- If you were recently diagnosed with diabetes, we suggest waiting at least six months to allow any potential policy to be based on a track record of control.
- Long term diabetics should make sure their A1C is under 8 before applying for coverage.
- Apply for a policy with a diabetic life insurance carrier that uses “clinical underwriting”.
- Shop on the internet, by phone, or through referrals to find an agent experienced agent.
- Life insurance rates are based on age and health, and you should purchase the largest amount you can afford while you can still qualify for coverage.
- Type 2 diabetes have a better chance for getting a standard rate for diabetic life insurance.
- Type 1 diabetics are controlled through insulin therapy and will benefit from using a guaranteed issue product (no exam).
Life insurance with Diabetes Client Case Studies:
Horace applied for term life insurance with diabetes when he was 62 years old.
- Diagnosed with diabetes at age 55
- A1C level 5.8
- His condition is controlled by diet only (no medication)
- Routine follow up appointments with his doctor
- No other medical history
- Underwriting decision: Approved at a Standard rating class
- Premium: $690 annually
Tina applied for term life insurance with diabetes when she was 55 years old.
- Diagnosed at age 52
- A1C level 7.5
- Diabetes kept in check with medication
- Routine follow up appointments with her doctor
- No other medical problems
- Underwriting decision: Approved at a Table 2 rating class
- Premium: $1,229 annually
Types of Life Insurance for Diabetics
Obtaining life insurance with diabetes is not that difficult, but may tale a bit more time. Once you are approved, we always recommend locking in your rate for as long as possible. This is because obtaining life insurance for diabetics become more expensive or even impossible if you ever become insulin dependent. There are a few different types of life insurance policies to consider:
Term Life Insurance – Term life offers guaranteed death benefits and level premiums for an initial period such as 10, 15, 20, or even 30 years. Term life insurance for diabetics provides the largest amount of insurance at the cheapest cost.
Universal Life Insurance – This is a form of permanent life insurance with a guaranteed premium and death benefit guaranteed to any age. Universal life insurance has a cash accumulation component which has tax deferred growth along with lifetime coverage. Permanent life insurance for diabetics is good idea because the coverage will remain with you for your entire lifetime. Regardless of your health!
If you are looking for life insurance with diabetes, be sure that you work with an agency using clinical underwriting. We specialize in diabetic life insurance and evaluate your overall medical history and your control level when you are applying for life insurance with diabetes.
If you would like some sample rates use the standard rate class on Instant Life Insurance Quote to obtain estimates on life insurance for diabetics.
People with a diabetic condition can also benefit from speaking with an experienced adviser with specific knowledge of the diabetic underwriting criteria of many companies. Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-877-249-1358.